Friday, October 19, 2012

The Residency of the Deceased

I'm fascinated by death.

Always have been.

As a child,
I remember going to funerals,
a handful of them.

I had no idea what
was going on.

My memory is horrifyingly clear.

I can't recollect the events
that took place yesterday,
but I do remember
those dead faces
and the touch of
frozen skin.

My aunt's funeral
is a somber moment
that will never
leave me.

There were hundreds of people,
they formed a sea of black,
and from their eyes
poured an undying sorrow.

I was thinking about her
and how incredibly intimidating
she was,
yet completely generous.

She was an amazing woman.

And as I was thinking about her,
a revelation came to me:
I would never see her again.

This was the first time
I would become aware of this,
I was beginning to understand
death
and its finality.

Then,
a flock of white birds
caught my burning eyes.

They were heavenly and graceful,
like no other creatures
have ever been.

This was my aunt.

Her spirit
freed.

As her body
descended into the ground.

I realized then,
the dead are still
everywhere
around us,
making their presence known.

Nothing is forever gone.

We just have to be
willing
to look
for the signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment