Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Devil Makes Three Concert Review

This past weekend was sloppy to say the least. Throughout the day of The Devil Makes Three concert, I had the privilege of having an all day drinking fest with two lovely, somewhat crazy ladies. During these long hours, I heard a plethora of Pop songs and to the ladie's surprise I knew every corny lyric to such corny songs as Backstreet Boys "I Want it that Way" and P. Diddy's "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down." They thought because I am a metal head that I can only be a tough guy that gets way too drunk and ONLY listens to metal. This is far from the truth. I love music, all of it. No matter how hard or corny it is, it is the celebration of life and I cannot help, but celebrate. I don't try to be cool or follow a certain set of rules like punks, indie kids, and gangsta rappers do. Why are there rules anyways? I thought the whole point of it all, especially with punk, is that there are no rules. These "laws" make no sense to me, so instead I choose to be myself and enjoy and support bands and music that I know and love. Take it or leave it.
I am getting to know and already love the indie/punk/bluegrass band The Devil Makes Three. These whiskey guzzlers put on an incredible honky tonk performance. They had everyone at the Downtown Brew venue slappin' their knees and hootin' and hollerin' all throughout their historic show and even between breaks. All of the songs these okie punk rockers played were crowd pleasers, but it seemed that everyone knew every word to their booze soaked anthem "Old Number Seven." And if the crowd was not singing along to the Devils' other foot stompers like "Ten Feet Tall" and "Do Wrong Right," they were mesmerized by the bands vocal harmonies, blazing banjo picking, and upright bass slapping provided by Lucia Turino. This tattooed queen had me hypnotized, as well as the rest of the people with cocks there. Boy! She could play.
When they finished their set, the crowd would not let them leave. The drunk ramblers wanted more and more and they received encore after encore. The Devil Makes Three put on an impressive performance that was unforgettable and that is hard to believe considering how much whiskey was flowing through everyone's veins. I, honestly, miss those beautiful okies already. I just want to say thank you, thank you so much, you devils had me drinking in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment