Monday, February 11, 2013

Hermit Covers

Danger was in the air.

I could taste its bitterness
in the winter winds.

I could feel its strength
pushing me over the edge,

but I kept on driving.

A stop sign came up,
I was hesitant
to push on the brake,
but a woman pushing a stroller
and walking her poodle,
decided to cross the street.

I had to stop.

Dammit, I thought,
just let me get home
and hide under the covers
for a few days.

Is that so much to ask for?

Just then,
she stopped
right in front of me,
to tie her fucking shoes.

Honk! Honk!

Dammit bitch, I muttered
under my breath,
get the fuck
out of the way.

I honked again,
its loudness frightened
the poodle.

It growled.

Its eyes turned a dark blue.

Foam began to crawl out of its mouth.

It jumped up
and into the stroller.

Its teeth and claws
dug into
the baby.

Blood squirted out,
hitting the mother in the face.

She tried to stop it.

It bite her in the hand.

The baby was crying and struggling,
I could see
its tiny hand
reach and grab
the dog's tongue
and rip it out.

The dog fell
and convulsed
on the ground.

Its blood and foam and mucus
made a puddle,
the woman slipped on it,
panicked.

She got back up.

She must have loved that dog
more than her child
because she picked him up
and began to slam
its tiny head against
the street.

I sped off.

I had had enough
for one day.

Dammit, I said to myself,
I knew
I should have stayed home
under the covers.

Before I made it back,
I saw an old man
trying to cross the street
in front of me.

I sped up,
just in case.

He jumped under the wheels.

I felt them go over
his head
and body.

I left him there.

I left everything
behind
and went home.

I hid under the covers.

I've been here ever since.

I don't plan on leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment